Legrono - Azofra - Thursday


I cannot believe that I did not take many photographs today. The journey began with several, maybe four kilometres of walking through a public park. The highlight of which was a real red squirrel. The gardens were well kept, children's play areas, picnic areas, bbq areas, cycle tracks, water fountains (fuente with fresh drinking water) . This gave way to walking next to the motorway that runs from Legrono onwards towards Burgos.  This was a good day early on. Navarrette was passed in good time, then looking for water in Ventosa was interesting. Everything was closed, even the houses. It was a ghost town. The medical centre door was open, no one there! There was no running water in the hand basin. A white van - it had to be- drew up and the man starts advertising his vegetables by loudspeaker. No one comes. I walk over and ask him "aqua" "agua". He shakes his head, I show him empty bottle. He fills it from his personal supply, sees I am thirsty, encourages me to drink and he fills it again. I spot a small fish symbol on his bumper. He wants to tell me there is only one Camino, the one to heaven.  I do not have time for long conversation in pigeon Spanish / French so we part friends , a blessing given and I thank God for this Evangelical man of God willing to bless me with his water.

11 km later I arrive in Najera with no Albergue open, it is onwards to Azofra. As I discover, the Albergue there that was open last week is now "cerrado". There is a note saying hostel next to church is open. Fortunately the church bell rings so I walk in its general direction and find an ancient refuge built in 1163 for pilgrims just like me. It is small, cold, but has water and a small camp stove. There is electricity too and a supermarket across the street. It is getting dark, he I will be staying.
Fortunately the shop sold coffee sachets so I was able to boil water and make a hot drink. A small meal  of fruit, yoghurt, Pringles and fruit juice . Plenty of blankets so sleep was cosy. I was theirs person in a week to stop there. I had to record my presence and passport number in the record book and stamp my own credential. 


Popular posts from this blog

Monastery of St Mary Magdalene

Carrion de Los Condes to Calzadilla de Cueva

The road to Belorado