Los Arcos to Viana




There were some beautiful views along the way today. The Way went uphill and down dale, often exposed with the wind blowing across my path. Frio, as the guys in a very small tienda (shop, this one no bigger than our lounge at home) into this Tienda was stuffed all kinds of goods, a counter, a bar table three chairs and a loo. The proprietor was also offering hot drinks at 75 cents, so hot chocolate made with real milk was well received by me. There were two guys from the farm next door having coffee before taking a large truck somewhere. They were dressed in bright fatigues and one had a bright sense of humour. He reminded me of one of my churchwardens... anyhow, I had a lovely warm Buen Camino handshake that was well meant. It was an honour to sit in what was, judging by the locals passing through, the village news exchange and front room. It turned out to be the only shop open along the way today - glad I stopped.
I stopped too at a lovely outdoor altar, and sat in the priest's stall to pray the Angelus, as it was almost lunchtime. It felt quite odd bellowing the prayers out across the open country, I am sure God heard. Guess what, two minutes later I am scrambling down a bank to join a path detour via the roadway, as I do I become aware of a small white campervan drawing to a stop opposite. A loud "hello there" comes from the driver who I realise is British by his accent. "Are you ok? " do you have water? Need any first aid? It turns that this Camino Angel is a Friar of the Camino who drives along the route in his spare time helping pilgrims. His name is Geoff and he originally came from Weston Super Mare, how amazing is that. How lovely to speak my own language with another human being. In a tough couple of days, those few minutes were a Godsend. I have a small packet of flower seeds to plant for him somewhere I stop for lunch. We exchanged blessings and off he went... just remember, not all angels have posh names like Michael or Gabriel, this one was called Geoff.

When I arrived at Viana, the Albergue was closed, however right next door was a cafe attached to a three star hotel. Menu del dias advertised at 12€ plus tax. I was so blessed by this! A real meal! Included, an amazing tuna salad with tomatoes, lettuce, mixed vegetables and asparagus, nicely dressed with olive oil. Then a large, baked sea bass with chips followed by a creme brulee. I may have not yet mentioned the bottle of mineral water and half bottle roof Tempranillo also included... feeling full and blessed I went to the Albergue where  I write the blog. The funny part was that among the classy wine labels under the glass topped tables, designed to impress... was this one from Sainsbury...

Popular posts from this blog

Monastery of St Mary Magdalene

Carrion de Los Condes to Calzadilla de Cueva

The road to Belorado