Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga

Today I began at first light and what a fabulous sunrise. From the death of sleep a new day is born. As the graffiti along the way frequently says "no death no new birth" . Or more traditionally " death precedes resurrection. 
My footsteps were careful to begin with today, and most of the journey after the battering my feet received yesterday. Whilst I was wishing maybe I hadn't walked quite so far, I got the feeling that I may have been a twist, but God still loved me a lot. How much? We'll take a look...
I think the Spanish for giants is "Los Gigantes"  so this moment was an encouraging one. 
After about 12 km I came across an amazing "aire de descanso" run by a man whose name escapes me. He offered everything to pilgrims free. Donations welcomed but not sought. He has lived in this spot for ten years doing just this. He reckons he has met a million people. He was once a mechanic for Moto GP and has been to Silverstone. The theologian Pannenburg would have called him an "anonymous Christian". His coffee was most welcome and he agreed to a photo. His "ministry" was most welcome. It's 24/7 365 days a year. May God continue to richly bless him.
But now I am in a familiar place. I spent two days in this Albergue in Astorga back in 2018. The view out of the window hasn't changed. I did have a small personal challenge as those of you who know me well can appreciate...
This was the only legal way over the railway line as I entered Astorga... Glad storm Ciara didn't make it here today! 

The most welcome sight this afternoon was this one. Almost a snapshot of the Christian faith.From cross to cathedral. 

Look closely and you will Astorga Cathedral too. May God bless your journeying today.

Popular posts from this blog

Monastery of St Mary Magdalene

Introduction

Carrion de Los Condes to Calzadilla de Cueva